Reappearing as we go...
A Powderfinger song came on the radio this morning. I haven't heard this song in almost 6 years. It made me rather sad because when I last heard this song, I was really upset, wound up about something that was hurting, sick of things around me and... basically just wanted to crawl in a hole and hide myself away from the world.
The lyrics still mean the same to me today... and I think it described my state last night when I blogged here (see post below).
"Blow the candles out raise a glass to the night
Let all the tension out you've been wound up so tight
It's a tender trap to plan ahead all the time"
"Keep the glass topped up it's not over just yet
Pull off the social bluff celebrate your success
Turn the sunlight out find a place in the shade"
In the mood for taking myself far too seriously, I received an email from a close friend today and I thought I'd post this up because it means so much to me right now - and I hope you find something out of it too. Using his words...
Basically it was about a story of a woman and her daughter. The daughter was telling her mom about all the fucked up shit happening in her life and her mother saw that the experiences were taking her down this road that would not be ending very well. Mostly that was because the daughter was feeling defeated. So the mother took the daughter into the kitchen, put on some boiling water, then took out a carrot, egg, and some coffee grounds. She then asked her daughter to examine each thing.
The daughter said the carrot was firm and strong. The egg was fragile and had to be handled with care. The coffee smelled
absolutely great and she felt like from the smell it would taste good to simply eat the grounds. So then, the mother puts all three things one at a time in the boiling water, and has her daughter examine each thing afterwards. The carrot, once strong and firm was now soft, flimsy, and seemed like it would fall apart in her hand. The egg, once fragile and to be handled with care was now hardened on the inside and out. The hard outer shell had no function anymore. The coffee ground on the other was still coffee grounds, albeit wet. But they smelled even better than before. And then a funny thing happened, where she noticed that the water was changed by the coffee, whereas the carrot and egg hardly affected the water. Upon smelling the water, it smelled great. Upon tasting the water, it tasted great and made her feel better about her current situation. But she did not see the metaphor of what her mother was trying to teach her.
That would be, there are carrots, eggs, and coffee grounds in life (life being the boiling water). After exposure to life, the carrot was weakened, the egg was hardened and not as good as it was before (because obviously you can do so many more things with an egg before it is hardboiled that taste soooo much better than hardboiled eggs). Furthermore, life around the carrot and egg remained unchanged. It was still a raging pot of scalding hot water with no taste except the shitty after taste of melted carrot of calcium from the egg shell.
But then the coffee, a wonderful thing with so much potential before being put into life, became all that much better when put under adverse conditions. And not only did it become better, but the life around it became that much better as well.
Okay... so now I'm going to work on my Thermo lab write-up and be the finest tasting coffee in the world ;).
xoxo