And it's an Asian Invasion...
3/09/2006 08:47:00 PM

So this is mildly amusing. I was sent this and I'd thought I'd post it here and justify the points either as True Or False to test its seemingly correct hypothesis.

YOU KNOW YOU ARE ASIAN-AUSTRALIAN IF...

1. You regret the fact that you did not learn Mandarin or other Asian language properly in Saturday language school.
True. Although I can speak Hokkien, it's practicality fails all forms of practicality-ness.

2. You say you're Australian, totally forgetting your roots.
False. As much as I have nothing in common with 'Fobs', I haven't forgotten my roots.

3. During childhood you didn't have many Asian friends, played bullrush or handball and ate 'sunny boys' for lunch.
True. I STILL don't have many Asian friends... well, not a congregation of them anyway like those who hang out in the dining hall at Monash University.

4. A form of choosing was done by 'dip dip'.
True, ha! I almost forgot about that!

5. You know you have to shop at an Asian grocery store but you have no idea what you are buying nor can you read any of the food labels.
True, although the pictures help. AND when they romanise the chinese words.

6. You cheer for Australia during the Olympics, know local Australian bands, and know what a VB is.
True, and I love VB too (and Aussie bands).

7. You can speak fluent English without an accent.
True-ish. Several years in an international school kinda changed that but I don't think I sound like an Asian.

8. Know what a Commodore and Falcon are.
True, I know that they are not animals.

9. You know you are superior to all other Asians, despite the fact that they beat you in Maths in the VCE, can speak an Asian language fluently and know what they are buying in Asian grocery stores.
True. Damn those FOBS!

Score: 8/9


33 WAYS TO KNOW IF YOU'RE AN ASIAN

1. You were/are a good student with very high GPAs.
True, lol what can I say?

2. You majored in something practical like engineering, medicine or finance.
True. Oh God, the only thing that I'm not majoring in on that list is medicine. I AM Asian!

3. You have more than one-college degree.
True... ah geez.

4. If you play a musical instrument, it must be piano.
True. Yes, piano was one of them.

5. You have a vinyl table cloth on your kitchen table.
False!, HA! I hate those things!

6. Your stove is covered with aluminum foil.
False, HA again.

7. Your kitchen has a sticky film of grease over it.
False, our house isn't very Asian.

8. You beat eggs with chopsticks.
False, altho I do everything else with chopsticks. No pun intended.

9. You always leave outdoor shoes at the door.
True

10. You use the dishwasher as a dish rack.
False, who does that?! Please don't tell me people do this!

11. You keep a Thermos of hot water available at all times.
False, I'm not that lame.

12. You boil water before drinking.
False, although I know a lot of Asian households do this.

13. You fight over who pays the dinner bill.
True, usually.

14. You wash rice 2-3 times before cooking it.
True.

15. You don't dry-clean clothes, even if they need to be dry-cleaned.
True, only when we HAVE to.

16. You always cook yourself, even if you hate it.
True - it's cheaper! Oh look, another Asian trait!

17. You do either soccer, swimming, badminton, volleyball, basketball, or ping pong.
True - swimming and badminton though.

18. You buy Christmas cards after Christmas, when they are 50% off.
True - usually.

19. You hate to waste food:
a) Even if you're totally full, if someone says they're going to throw away the leftovers on the table, you'll finish them.
False - usually the men do that.
b) You have containers in your fridge with three bites of rice or one leftover chicken wing.
True - sometimes!

20. You don't own any real Tupperware-only a cupboard full of used but carefully rinsed margarine tubs, takeout containers, and jam jars.
True - well, most anyway.

21. When toilet paper is on sale, you buy 100 rolls and store them.
True - my mum does that, so I'll answer it on her behalf.

22. You have a collection of miniature shampoo/conditioner bottles and little soap bars that you take every time you stay in a hotel.
True, Ha!

23. You carry a stash of your own food whenever you travel (and travel means any car ride longer than 15 minutes).
True - but usually just a muesli bar atleast :P Or a bottle of water.

24. You spit bones and other food scraps on the table.
False - that's one Asian trait I despise.

25. Your dad thinks he can fix everything himself.
True

26. When you go to a dance party, there is always a group of guys surrounding the dance floor trying to look cool.
True Buahahahahah! Asians.

27. Your house/aparment is always cold in winter, and hot in summer.
False - we don't skimp on heaters and A/Cs.

28. Your Mom drives her Mercedes to Foodtown, or Shoppers Food Warehouse regardless how far it is, even if the dairy is next door.
True. And my mum has a Mercedes too. How Asian are we?

29. You always look phone numbers up in the phone book, since calling Directory Assistance costs 50 cents.
False - I didn't know about directory assistance!

30. You use a colored face cloth every morning.
True - only to dry tho!

31. You starve yourself before going to all-you-can-eat places.
True, who doesn't?

32. Almost all your money is in a savings account
True, altho I have the odd share or two.

33. You never discuss your love life with your parents.
True, Haha.

Score: 24/33 = 72.7%

Teeheehee, I think I'm quite the Asian. I love all these Asian jokes. The best thing about is - I'm Asian! And what's funnier than laughing about yourself (and/or your fellow race)?

Whilst on the topic of Asians, here's another entertaining tidbit for all its worth:

TOP TEN REASONS WHY THERE WON'T BE AN ASIAN PRESIDENT ANYTIME SOON
1. White House not big enough for in-laws
2. Engineering, medicine, and law always preferred over politics
3. Oval Office has bad feng shui.
4. Can't find decent roast duck inside the beltway.
5. Secret service can't handle nagging from mother.
6. Dignitaries are generally intimidated by chopsticks at state dinners.
7. No chance for promotion.
8. Lactose intolerance not considered politically correct.
9. Senior aides won't take off shoes before coming in.
10. Air Force One: No frequent flyer miles.

xoxo

posted by Stellar Drella @ 3/09/2006 08:47:00 PM
:: Post a Comment
2 Comments:
  • At 12:16 PM, Blogger Stellar Drella said…

    AH... so that explains your ever-so-slightly dark blonde hair!

     
  • At 11:34 PM, Blogger markii said…

    HAR!

    I especially like the last section.

    "No chance for promotion"

    LOL!

    "Airforce one: no frequent flyer points"

    HAHAHA~ Sooooo Asian~

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 



Chez George

| shay jorj |

n. The blog of Georgina - perfectionist, realist, surrealist, futurist, modernist & romanticist. A confusing collection of thoughts, rants, art, music, dreams, opinions, news, photos and other random bullshit you didn't need to know about.

Origin. mid 18th century French; Greek name for 'farmer'.

dusty archives