WHY is that trams are allowed to delay cars and yet cars are strictly not allow to delay trams?
Here is a quick scenario:
1. Car wants to turn right into a side street from a main road that has tram tracks. Car gets onto tram tracks to wait for a clearing in traffic to turn right. Car does not see a tram behind it. Heavy traffic. Tram eventually pulls up behind car. Tram driver goes nuts at car. Assume 20 passengers on tram and thus 20 people delayed - momentarily.
2. Tram travelling slowly down a main road. Stops every 5 seconds to drop off/pick up people. A river of cars follow slowly behind tram waiting for the best opportune moment to overtake snail-like tram. Tram causes massive traffic jam which extends to junctions and beyond. Definetly more than 20 people delayed - not momentarily but for the rest of their journey (so long as they are stuck behind bloody tram).
Is this some tactic to make people take public transport? If it is, IT IS NASTY. I cringe whenever I see the ad on trams "Delay a tram and you're delaying a lot of people" - well, what about "Tram drivers should learn to drive faster than 25km/hr?!!!!"
People aren't taking public transport because:
a. the public transport system sucks (1. trams and buses are too slow 2. it stops are midnight)
b. it is way too expensive given its level of inefficiency - petrol... PETROL is cheaper (even in today's terms)
c. more trams = more traffic jams = bad greenhouse effects
People TAKE public transport because:
a. they have no fucking choice (no car, can't drive, etc)
b. there is insufficient parking opportunities at destination
c. they are drunk
d. ... insert other reasons that I can't think of.
e. you are a massive greenie (but your temper is getting frayed)
But I digress.
Basically what I'm trying to say is I. Hate. Trams. Who. Are. Going. At. 10km/hr. In. Front. Of. Me. And. Not. Giving. Me. A. Chance. To. Overtake. And. Think. They. Are. So. Important. That. The. Human. Race. Depends. On. Them.
And if you say "Well, why don't you take public transport then?", then I shall say "You are illiterate and can't read the above reasons" ... PLUS I go to Monash University.
x