No one says it better than Lou...
11/07/2004 10:47:00 PM

Whilst studying I was listening to Animal Serenade (absolutely divine and brings back so many wonderful memories of when I went to see Lou Reed -- more than a year ago already!!)."The Day John Kennedy Died" came on with its most simplistic lyrics, it said more than anything else could say.

I dreamed I was the president of these United States
I dreamed I replaced ignorance, stupidity and hate
I dreamed the perfect union and a perfect law, undenied
And most of all I dreamed I forgot the day John Kennedy died

I dreamed that I could do the job that others hadn't done
I dreamed that I was uncorrupt and fair to everyone
I dreamed I wasn't gross or base, a criminal on the take
And most of all I dreamed I forgot the day John Kennedy died

Oh, the day John Kennedy died
Oh, the day John Kennedy died
I remember where I was that day,
I was upstate in a bar
The team from the university was playing football on TV
Then the screen want dead and the announcer said,
There's been a tragedy
There's are unconfirmed reports the president's been shot
and he may be dead or dying.
Talking stopped, someone shouted, What!?
I ran out to the street
People were gathered everywhere saying,
did you hear what they said on TV
And then a guy in a Porsche with his radio hit his horn
and told us the news
He said, The president's dead, he was shot twice in the head
in Dallas, and they don't know by whom.

I dreamed I was the president of these United States
I dreamed I was young and smart and it was not a waste
I dreamed that there was a point to life and to the human race
I dreamed that I could somehow comprehend that someone
shot him in the face
Oh, the day John Kennedy died
Oh, the day John Kennedy died
Oh, the day John Kennedy died
Oh, the day John Kennedy died

Lou is such a brilliant lyricist and always has something to say to comment about society. They are timeless and always relevant (Oh! What costume shall the poor girl wear to all tomorrow's parties??!). If only more people could write like him! And if only society could learn more from the music! Well, they would given the chance, I reckon. So much relevant and important music is not mainstream enough for the general public to know about. I am so disheartened when I listen to commercial radio because of its trash factor, which is why I never listen to them at all! There is no doubt why teenagers are growing up the way they are today! There's so much better music out there than what is on the radio and MTV. Dig deep!

I am tired...
I am weary...
I could sleep for a thousand years.
A thousand dreams that would awake me...
Different colours made of tears.

posted by Stellar Drella @ 11/07/2004 10:47:00 PM
:: Post a Comment
1 Comments:
  • At 10:24 PM, Blogger Stellar Drella said…

    I know! Ahhh.. have fun... you'll love it! I hope he'll come down to ozzie land again!

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 



Chez George

| shay jorj |

n. The blog of Georgina - perfectionist, realist, surrealist, futurist, modernist & romanticist. A confusing collection of thoughts, rants, art, music, dreams, opinions, news, photos and other random bullshit you didn't need to know about.

Origin. mid 18th century French; Greek name for 'farmer'.

dusty archives