Okay! I'm blogging!
So last Tuesday I went to see Franz Ferdinand and it was largely brilliant! I went with my friends Sarah and Daniel and met up with Dennison at the venue so it was a great night with great people I know.
We got to The Palace really early and we were amongst the first in line. Basically, we could have been right up front if we went onto the floor as soon as we got in but we weren't quite up for that. Instead, we lounged around the comfy sofas and had a great chat :).
When the Fiery Furnaces (the opening act) started, we made our way in. The floor was already packed and I started panicking because I am oh-so-short and couldn't see the stage at all. So I squeezed my way down to the first 5 rows of people to get a slight glimpse of the stage. The Fiery Furnaces are actually quite good. The lead singer really reminded me of Janis Joplin. They aren't identical of course, but she had this certain attitude that was quite similar to how Janis performed on stage. They had really good drums and mad bass lines. I like the poppy-ness from their organ but I think it was a bit too over the top after a while. I have never heard of this band before but I could recognise a few songs. They were one of those "Oh so this song is theirs!" bands.
So then Franz Ferdinand came on and the crowd went absolutely beserk!! Seriously, I had not expected the crowd to be sooo crazy. I mean, it was almost as bad as the Chili Peppers where I was pretty much hanging onto the barriers for my life 98% of the time. But yeah, at the start I loved the whole pushing and shoving because everyone was just loving the music (except for those drunk idiots who like to just push and shove for no reason). I just went completely nuts myself and sung my heart out. I couldn't really see the stage, but the occasional glimpse of the front man (man his clothes are sexy).
Crowd surfing can be fun I guess, but I really hate it. Maybe if I was taller, I would like it a bit, but its not great when you're a shorty like me. Just picture a crowd of people standing really close to one another and you suddenly get this short Asian girl. In layman's terms, there is a hole in the surface of the crowd and if you crowd surf, you'd undeniably fall into that hole and crush that poor person underneath. Indeed that is what happened to me. For some reason, since that moment, everything just went horrible. I would usually find such events funny but I was just getting mighty annoyed. Especially this scary girl in front of me dancing as if no one was standing around her. FREAK! Being short also has another disadvantage. You get all the body heat and humidity around you and you must tip toe just to be able to breathe. My antidote for passing out is just to keep rocking out harder and harder, but seriously, I was going to pass out no matter how hard I try to not think about it. I couldn't breeeathe for godsake!
So I couldn't stand that bullshit anymore. And Take Me Out was playing and I wanted to savour the moment so I backed off and moved to a saner region of the floor. Still couldn't see the stage very well, but I had room to breathe, dance and have a good time.
And what a good time I had!! Darts of Pleasure, Fire, Michael, Dark Of The Matinee, Come On Home... all rocked. Because I had a bad view, I couldn't see how the band played together but they just sounded fantastic. It was a very very short set though. Possibly under one hour. Damnit! If it was Bowie, he's be starting his 5th song only! Damnit! But alas... they have only one album compared to Bowie's 26 or so, so you can't expect too much I guess. I do hope they come back down under again soon because I'll definetly BE there.
Go Franz Ferdinand!!
Okay, apart from Franz Ferdinand, I have purchased John Frusciante's latest album "The Will To Death" which is quite good. Really good, in fact. Well, I haven't listened to it much but it seems his song writing is getting far more complex yet at the same time becoming more open and honest. It is less produced compared to Shadows and therefore exhibits a much rawer sound. I like that. I don't even listen to the studio version of Shadows anymore but the acoustic version instead. I really want to play like him! :(
Okay, so I guess this is all I have to offer for the moment. Had the day off today and spent all day writing up my resume and cover letters for all the engineering firms I am applying for Vacation Work. I hate doing this sorta thing but what has gotta be done must be done :(.
You make me want to know who this Franz Ferdinand character is.
Almost.
:D