Yes, I think we will go Super Size...!
6/18/2004 09:51:00 PM

I just got back from the cinema where I saw Supersize Me. Hahahahaha... man, it is so good! It's probably one of the best documentaries I have seen. I don't eat fast food all that often because I know its bad for me but I never knew it was THAT bad. It has totally put me off and now I'm scoffing down an apple and a mandarin because it made me feel guilty (and I'm not even an unhealthy person!).

If you don't know what Supersize Me is about, it is a documentary of a guy (the director himself) going on a Maccas diet for one whole month. That means eating nothing but what is on the McDonald's menu and seeing what happens to him. The results were quite stupefying indeed. Not many cinemas are showing this independant film so guys, I really recommend you to look out for a cinema that does show it and go SEE it! In Melbourne, Rivoli and Kino Dendy are. There could be more but I'm not sure.

What is freaky is the fact that everytime I write something on my blog other than myself (yeah, I know, I'm quite self-obsessed...), I just so happen watch a film that relates to that blog. Before it was all that world events stuff and then going to see The Dreamers. Yesterday I was writing about corporate responsibility and today I watch Supersize Me, of which mentions that fast food companies like McDonalds are not concerned about the people, but the shareholders. Now I didn't even think about just how much harm fast food places are doing to people. It could be that I'm living in Australia and the obesity problem isn't quite as adverse as that in America, but I should have thought about that before.

But I mean, they have SUPER SIZES there! My god! I have not seen such a thing. How can you eat that many fries and drink that much soft drink?! (Or, as they call it, 'soda') Absolute scariness. I wonder if the Super Size will sell well here. I'm actually thinking it would but thank god we don't have it. As I said before, even though the weight problem here isn't as bad, it is progressively getting bad. Kids are getting fatter by substituting the evenings-outside-playing-cricket-with-the-neighbours with staying indoors playing Playstation or the Xbox or simply chatting online (ahem ahem). I was never concerned with these issues before as I didn't take them too seriously. I admit, I used to be pretty selfish and think "the nation's petty problem ain't my problem, baby". I was wrong and I know it. Supersize Me just confirms that 'unimportant' problems like these will mean that we all end up living in a very fat and unhealthy country. And that should be everyone's concern.

SUPER SIZES! Man I still can't get over it!
Ok, so this documentary has put me off junk food but I've decided that I'm going to rise to the challenge of eating a Supersize meal when I go to America next year! And I'm going to FILM it too just in case people won't believe me. This is a big thing coming from me because you know how little I eat! I can't even finish a regular meal. So I'm going to cheat a bit and choose the cheeseburger super size meal because that IS the smallest burger available. I swear, I'll probably throw up. The drink will also last me the whole day too. That's one long film!

Also another thing I hadn't thought of seriously before is the fact that when you're young, you will have had the odd lunches with your family at Maccas where there will also be a playground to play in. The place just holds this feeling of happiness and excitement that as your grow older, you simply associate that place with a warm happy feeling in your tummy. Despite the food being unhealthy, you just somehow see it in some positive light that conjures up good memories from your childhood. Man, I had my 9th birthday party at Maccas! And it was just the best! So see just how ingenius it was of that person who came up with "let's build a playground to make parents bring their kids!"? If this can happen to me, it can happen to anyone. McDonald's is so much part of the culture of people that it IS culture.

So "punch your kid in the head everytime you drive past McDonald's" and they'll be fine! ;)

I have to run...
Chat soon.

posted by Stellar Drella @ 6/18/2004 09:51:00 PM
:: Post a Comment
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home
 



Chez George

| shay jorj |

n. The blog of Georgina - perfectionist, realist, surrealist, futurist, modernist & romanticist. A confusing collection of thoughts, rants, art, music, dreams, opinions, news, photos and other random bullshit you didn't need to know about.

Origin. mid 18th century French; Greek name for 'farmer'.

dusty archives