The media shits me.
Not a new revelation for many of you people reading this, and certainly not for me. But I started a rant that was supposed to be posted in the last entry... it got a little inappropriate for the heading, and so I thought I'd dedicate a whole new entry just for it. Just like the media dedicating a whole lot of newspaper space for a whole lot of useless shit.
So anyways, it went a little like this...
I am also glad that the newspapers have moved on in terms of the whole 'Beckham scandal' - Oooh, BECKHAM SCANDAL. My Ass. I find it sad that newspapers would give up whole two two-page spreads for such a story and only dedicate about a quarter of a page for real events like the train crash in North Korea (oh, which by the way had killed only about 3000 people). Who the fuck cares about Posh and Becks? Just leave them alone and let them sort their lives out. It is this obsession that newspapers have with celebrities that puts me off reading them. They are so distracting to start off with and the important stuff are always tucked away in the corner where you actually have to make an EFFORT to read them. Not to mention how dryly they are written. It sells the paper, though. And that's what's important, right?
I am not talking about every newspaper in Australia. I am talking about a particular tabloid that not only shits me, but is the most widely read paper in Victoria. I'd hate to think that the reason why people buy it so often is because of its content. Well, duh. Of course that's the reason. And the same thing with television. Like the god-awful Big Brother: "Will the surprise affect the way the housemates interact?!" - Well fuck of course it will! Otherwise what would the surprise be?! Extra toilet paper?
In fact, the show Big Brother is really tainting the excellent book that is 1984. But y'know, it does its job. The show has a huge following now. Isn't it like the most anticipated reality show that Australia has to offer? The viewers worship the housemates like celebrities. Everyone who watches the show, loves the show. Trust me, people who don't like the show wouldn't go near ANYTHING associated with Big Brother. This small population of like-minded people, which includes me, also wouldn't go out yelling about how much we hate Big Brother because the masses would kill us. Virtually speaking. You either love it or hate it. Just like Big Brother in 1984. Huge following, lovers and haters. Haters getting tormented and drowned out because the unintelligent mainstream decides to do so. The show is a very mild version of the real 1984 Big Brother but it does the job nonetheless - to suck and play with the minds of its followers.
Reality TV seriously has gotten way out of perspective. I saw an episode of the Average Joe because I was in a country town and had nothing else better to do. It was the episode when a group of show-winning hopefuls were there standing waiting to see who's going to be evicted. Then suddenly the game CHANGES and a bunch of 'hot and sexy' men walk into the room. The show-winning hopefuls now have the word 'ugly' protruding out of their heads and they were all standing their with their legs all wobbly, hair standing on end, cheeks all flustered, and just basically infuriated but at the same time scared shitless. The 'hot and sexy' men start giving these 'ugly' shit saying stuff like "We're on a completely different level than them. They are inferior.", "I remember seeing the girl's face, she was so relieved when she saw us. How ugly are those guys?!" - Have you ever heard ANYTHING so DEGRADING?! And to have people finding this entertaining AND an important supplement to their daily lives is rather sad. I almost had a heart attack and can't believe I actually sat through that bullshit for almost 2 hours! I will never forgive myself for wasting my precious life away like that and will never do it again.
I haven't done it since, not that I did it very often in the first place - but Newlyweds was on once when I was doing the dishes. I think it was on straight after The Simpsons (Ha, Jessica Simpson show straight after the Simpsons). I'd watch a bit to see what the fuss is all about. I came to a conclusion: Why would anyone want to watch this musically insignificant blonde girl worrying about nonsensical things like "Oh, my boyfriend danced with a girl in his video clip. He's cheating on me!". The WHOLE one hour episode, or however long it was, was based on that topic! WTF.
And Australian Idol? Pft. Give them a guitar or a piano and they'll stand there stunned.
And what's up with this William Hung dude or whatever his name is? It's so sad that untalented people like him get all this media attention when REAL musicians, who work so hard at writing ORIGINAL material and PLAYING their own ORIGINAL material, are left undiscovered.
There's a whole lot of good music out there. A lot. And 99% of it is not on commercial radio. There's also a whole lot of better things you could do with your lives than waste it in front of a TV watching bullshit. I wish people would stop listening and watching shit that the media forces down their throat. Don't get me wrong by saying that if you watch Big Brother every week, then you're a shithead. No. It is that there are some people (in fact a lot of people) that allow the media to rule their lives and dictate to them what is important. Or in layman's terms "What's hot and what's not!". Even though I do want these people to stop being ignorant and to find some real purpose in their lives, I feel rather special amongst them. It makes me feel more of an individual with them around, y'know? Not being part of the masses is such a great feeling. Ha, the masses. Like the girls who wear clothes according to what the store Sportsgirl sells. Yes, fashion. The easiest way to tell whether someone is part of the masses trying to fit in. Some of the fashion seasons come up with the WORST possible form of clothing people can wear, yet EVERYONE wears it - no matter how SHIT it looks on them. When I see one of these people, its like "Aha! There goes another one!". It's easy to spot atleast 10 or more upon my first step into a shopping centre.
The masses shit me and they are the cause for stereotypes. The biggest example I can think of is America and George Bush. It doesn't mean that every American is an idiot because George Bush was elected President - a President who decides to rule the world at the same time. Some Australians, especially the people against the war, are very strictly Anti-American. Some wouldn't even go eat at McDonalds or drink Coke because it is American but most importantly, refuse to make friends with an American. Yeah, ok so Bush is a dickhead but don't let that fact turn you into a person with hate for everything related to that country. It is just that the unintelligent and uneducated mainstream decided to vote for him and leaving the intelligent minority (which really, is a very large large group of people) sitting around pondering on why these people are so stupid. So like good music, there's a lot of good people in America too.
The same goes to the Australians who label asylum seekers as terrorists and will harm our country if we let them stay here. Just because they are from Afghanistan doesn't mean they are terrorists for god's sake! The comments made by the rednecks up in Queensland supporting Pauline Racist Hanson are enough to make me puke.
Ok... so that concludes my little rant. It kinda changed topics halfway, but y'know, a rant is a rant - it just flows nonsensically. There's more where that came from, but I gotta leave and start working on my assignments. So, I bid you a fond farewell, ignore the media and be your own person to judge what's good for yourselves and our society... Adios, amigo!