It is funny how yesterday I had decided to get back to being more aware about world events and that same night, go to watch
The Dreamers. My friend Sarah took me to Rivoli to watch this arthouse film about three arty farty kids my age shutting themselves out from the world and just spending time in their apartment playing around and talking about cinema (this was set in the late 60s). They pretended that they cared about the political issues going on in France, but really didn't want to have anything to do with it. They preferred to live in their own world as if nothing was going on.
I say it is 'funny' because before yesterday, I was going through a phase of which I had no idea what was going on in the world around me. I knew these issues mattered to an extent, but I didn't feel that they concerned me. I felt my contribution in anything political (voting, standing up for refugees, etc) wouldn't make much of a difference and so I didn't really care. I just immersed myself in my own interests of music and art and University. But I came to realisation yesterday morning that I am part of this world and I can't escape from that fact. I have just about the same responsibility as everyone else to care about the world and where society is heading.
Having watched that film last night just confirmed everything that I was feeling yesterday was true. And it is such a coincidence.
Overall, apart from that strong message that I gained from it, it was a pretty weird film with some really strange relationships that I had never really thought about before. They were not surprising to me but I am rather fascinated. Yeah, that's it. The film fascinates me but it doesn't mean that I like it. To be fascinated and to like are two different things.
That aside, tonight is the opening for my exhibition. I am quite nervous because I don't know what to expect. I have not been to an opening before so I have no idea. And especially being one of the artists... it's even more nerve racking. I don't even know what is appropriate to wear... should I go all arty looking? Or go smart? Should I explain to people looking at my art about what the piece trying to convey? Or should I leave it to the viewers to figure it out themselves? Oh man... I'm freaking out!.... *deep breath*.
Wish me luck!!
|
| 1 Comments: |
- At 9:29 PM, Stellar Drella said…
Haha, that was flattering Michelangelo ;).
Yeah, I totally agree. Not very happy with what's been going on right now with the world. Very VERY sad. I can't believe people can be so cruel. And the sad thing is that they are adults. You'd think they'd know better and possess a bit more intelligence. I guess people get corrupted by power.
Today someone told me a quote by Einstein "There are only 2 things that are infinite. The first is the Universe. And the second is stupidity" ... Haha... very true!
|
| |
| << Home |
| |

Chez George
| shay jorj |
n. The blog of Georgina - perfectionist, realist, surrealist, futurist, modernist & romanticist. A confusing collection of thoughts, rants, art, music, dreams, opinions, news, photos and other random bullshit you didn't need to know about. Origin. mid 18th century French; Greek name for 'farmer'.
dusty archives
|
Haha, that was flattering Michelangelo ;).
Yeah, I totally agree. Not very happy with what's been going on right now with the world. Very VERY sad. I can't believe people can be so cruel. And the sad thing is that they are adults. You'd think they'd know better and possess a bit more intelligence. I guess people get corrupted by power.
Today someone told me a quote by Einstein "There are only 2 things that are infinite. The first is the Universe. And the second is stupidity" ... Haha... very true!