There's a lot of really amazing things happening at the moment in Melbourne for art. There are lots of things that those interested can participate in and experience.
Right now there is the
Next Wave Festival which will run until the end of the month (or early June). The theme this year is "Unpopular Culture" and there are a stack of exhibitions, screenings, performances all around the city of Melbourne to the extent of Geelong for this festival. Visit their website to see the program. I am going to some of these and if you'd like to come along, please email me and we can go toghether! Yes, I am looking for people to go with.
On top of that, there is
Noise, a Qantas sponsored event that discovers young artists and provides them with media exposure. If you're anywhere in Australia, and got some work to submit, go to their website to set up a new profile and submit your work. Your work will be looked at, and if accepted, it will be featured on the website. Not only that, you have the chance of winning $5000 cash and $5000 worth of plane tickets. There will be an exhibition in October where your work will be featured too. I sumbitted about 5 today and they are still under 'pending' mode. Haha. This is so exciting. I am so happy that there is stuff like this going on for young artists to show their stuff. If you don't have anything to submit, check out the website anyway. There is some really good art there.
In late September and early October, there will of course be the
Melbourne Fringe Festival - an art festival for everything that's not mainstream. Loads of stuff happen during this festival and they are calling volunteers! I have already submitted my application. If you want to be involved in setting up exhibitions, selling tickets, manning galleries, hosting, launching, meeting great people, etc, go to their website and fill in the form! Quick, because applications close next Tuesday.
Just when I thought the Melbourne art scene was getting boring and uneventful, all these cool things come up! And I want to make the most out of it given the opportunity. I suggest anyone interested in art or just wanting to participate in exciting yet creative community events, get involved with these.
Oh, and don't forget! This winter, straight after the Carravagio Exhibition, the National Gallery of Victoria will be hosting "The Impressionists" exhibition. Heaps of works from the Musee d'Orsay in France from artists such as Van Gogh, Sisley, CEZANNE, Monet, etc, will be sent here to Melbourne. This is the very first time that the Musee d'Orsay has lended so many valuable pieces to any art museum in the world. So make sure you check it out!
And if you want to get involved with the art culture even more, do check out
The Program. It has every art related event summarised in one website. Perfect!