It's a god awful small affair (or maybe not)
So. I've just had several weeks of excrutiating excitement. And its all over. ALL OVER. So let me tell you all about it!!!
The Bowie week was completely unanticipated. It went something like this:
Tuesday - Rove Live (when my cherry popped in terms of seeing David Bowie for the first time)
Wednesday - Spooky Ghost Show @ Ding Dong Lounge
Thursday - David Bowie @ Rod Laver Arena
Friday - David Bowie @ Rod Laver Arena, Bowie Afterparty @ Club UK
I got to meet some very cool people at
Spooky Ghost, for example Earl Slick, Mike Garson, Gerry Leonard and the lovely Gail Ann Dorsey. Wow! and what fabulous people they were. They played such an amazing show which completely blew me away. I was very inspired after that night. Getting to talk to them brought them down to the level that they were real people too. And it makes you want to become just as talented as they are.
Currently listening to: Gail Ann Dorsey - I Used To Be...
Absolutely brilliant album. Gail has the most beautiful voice with a song writing ability to match. Few albums bring me to tears. This one was one of them.
'And the
Bowie shows?' you ask. Do you really need to know what I thought of them? No, I didn't think so. But instead, I'll tell you about
Cluk UK, the after party a few friends and myself had organised. Before that, here's a pic of David from the first Melbourne show.
It was HAPPENING. After the show on Friday I was just taking my time walking from Rod Laver Arena to Exhibition street with Bnetters Charly and Ski-Rack. When I got there, there was a queue of people trying to get into the club! Success!! The place was packed and quite a few people stayed til 5am, which was when the club closed. If you really want to know how the whole night felt, just think of the music in which you feel so passionate about but just couldn't share it with your peers because they don't listen to that kind of music. Then suddenly imagine yourself in a night club packed with people dancing to and singing that music along with you as if it were the only music that ever existed. Belting our vocal chords out to The Width Of A Circle, Moonage Daydream, Heroes... dancing to Boys Keep Swinging, Sex And The Church, Breaking Glass... going absolutely frantic to Suffragette City, Hang On To Yourself, Lust For Life... the list is endless. It was the perfect way to end that Bowie week.
Here are some photos from that night:
On the Saturday I was suffering from major bouts of PBD. Post Bowie Depression. It's not a particularly good looking thing. But it happens. And I think now its gone. So that's always good. I just hope that I will get to see him live again.
Monday was the start of the first week at Uni. I decided to go early on Monday to get some books and try to revive that joyous feeling of stepping onto holy higher educational ground. As I get there, the multilevel carpark was already full. FULL I TELLS YA. I was kindly directed to Siberia aka Free Carpark on Wellington Road. The world was suddenly such an ugly place.
That ugliness continued for the rest of the week until Thursday and Friday when I just bumped into lots of friends and caught up. I also spent my afternoons having my arse at my easel trying to finish a neglected painting. I was also painting some new ones for my lovely arty friends who are sending me some of their own work too. I love art swaps. You guys should do it more often when you get the chance. It's such a great way to start that art collection of yours without spending too much money.
This weekend was the
Melbourne Grand Prix. I go every year. Its like a ritual. This year I ended up going with my bro and 5 friends and it was such a blast. I have had a lot of people asking me in absolute hilarity "Why do you even bother going there. Those cars go so fast you can't see anything!" Well let me explain on behalf of all GP goers. It's called atmosphere. I always love the Grand Prix because it has such an atmosphere you find no where else. Firstly, you can't hear the cars the same way as you would on television. The sharp shrill of this beautiful engine live is simply not the same on those high tech 5.1 Dolby Digital DTS Super Surround Sound What You Might Call it systems. OK, so maybe its close. But can your Surround Sound Place One Speaker In Each Corner Of Your House And Watch It Shake simulate that exhaust fume smell? No. If you say yes then you are a
dumbarse.
And when the FA-18 fighter jets fly past dropping those fake bomb things. And when the drivers wave at you during their little joyous parades. And when a car breaks down right in front of you and everyone either cheers or shouts out all the swear words under the sun according to who they go for. And when your team flag stains your clothing as you wear it as a cloak. And when your hot dog sauce falls all over your lap. But wait, there's more. I'm forgetting the biggest and best thing in the world. THE CROWD. Nothing quite like them hardcore Formula 1 fans. Today I think I saw Ferrari fans of all shapes and sizes, young little kids fully dressed in team/driver gear, lots of flags, faces covered in all sorts of paint, groups of people chanting something in Italian, red, more flags, more red and a flashed set of pubes from a man dressed in a kilt. Fantastic.
Here are some photos that I took yesterday:
Kim, Justin, Me and Desmond:
Adrian with his new stainy flag:
Kim and I with err... fingers:
So now I must crawl to bed as 3 hours of sleep in the past 24 hours isn't working out too well for me. And let's get ready for another fun week at Uni.
Note: Oh, and I was just about to delete my shock horror post of me bagging the shits out of BowieNet (see below) - I thought maybe I'll leave it. It WAS afterall how I felt at the time. But I take it all back because Blammo and Frankie have been absolutely the best for getting us into Rove to see David Bowie 2m away from my feet. Thank you.
Good night.